Eagle Eye Safaris is hosts our 5-day and 6-day wildlife watching and photographic safaris at Nkorho Bush Lodge in the Big 5 private reserve of Sabi Sands, sharing an unfenced border with Kruger National Park in South Africa.
We can arrange transportation to the lodge for you, including overnight lodging at a charming guesthouse in Nelspruit and a tour of Dr. Jane Goodall’s Chimp Eden. You’ll arrive at our Lodge in time for the afternoon game drive, and depart after the morning game drive and breakfast on the last day.
We host only 6 guests per safari. Cost for each safari is R 29,500 (South African Rand for double occupancy; please convert to your currency). Our small group safaris ensure that you will receive personal attention from us.
We require a 15 % deposit to secure your spot. You’ll receive two invoices for the balance: 35% at 100 days prior to safari, and the final balance at 60 days prior. We use PayPal for secure payment and credit cards are accepted. Please note that these are double-occupancy Safaris; meaning that costs are based on shared chalets. Single Occupancy is available at a small premium.
Once you arrive, our safaris are almost all-inclusive: comfortable accommodations, attentive staff, all meals, morning and evening game drives, nature walks, and photography instruction with Ernest and Karen, award-winning, Africa Geo published photographers. A fully stocked bar including a comprehensive wine cellar, laundry service, and authentic souvenirs are available to you at an additional cost. You’ll go home with amazing memories and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Our safaris are designed to watch or photograph wildlife. We will coach your photography skills to help you achieve your goals in any way we can. Everyone is welcome, from absolute beginners to advanced photographers to non-photographers who just want to watch the animals while the others click away. Our private vehicle has a dedicated ranger and an experienced tracker to ensure the best possibility of seeing the widest variety of birds and wildlife—and getting into position for dramatic, one-of-a-kind photographs.
We are passionate about photographing, promoting, protecting and preserving the natural world around us, while educating guests about photography techniques, conservation efforts and wildlife habits.
At the end of your trip, we want you to know how to capture the images you envision and how to get them on the wall for everyone to enjoy.
Typical itinerary for each day:
- Coffee/tea and a light snack before our sunrise Safari of 3-4 hours
- Bush/nature walk of about 45-60 minutes–easy to moderate hike
- Breakfast upon return to the lodge
- Optional Lightroom/Photoshop CC workshop (see itinerary below)
- Free time
- Afternoon/sunset Safari of 3-4 hours including a Sundowner Stop (cocktails)
Included in the safari package:
Double-occupancy accommodations (Single Occupancy available at a small premium), all meals, morning and evening game drives, personal photography and LR/PS instruction, non-alcoholic beverages, nature walk
To make it easy for you, we offer an add-on package that includes accommodations in Johannesburg, Nelspruit, and round trip transportation between Nelspruit and Nkorho Bush Lodge, plus a tour of Dr. Jane Goodall’s rescue and rehab facility, Chimp Eden. Transportation between Johannesburg and Nelspruit is not included but we can recommend flights.
Not included in the safari package:
Airfare and transportation to/from the lodge (Round-trip airfare from JNB to Nelspruit is approximately $200. You can also rent a car and drive from Nelspruit—approximately 3 hours–or Johannesburg—7 hours), alcoholic beverages (full bar service available), gratuities (gratuities for our Ranger and Tracker are mandatory; please plan approximately $10-20/day[R130-260]; all other gratuities are optional), laundry service, any other personal expenses.
We feature a building block approach to photography and editing. We will coach you in every aspect of your camera, from focusing to metering, from Manual Mode to Shutter Priority, and every function in between. If you want to learn more, Ernest Porter will conduct basic workflow and editing skills workshops in Lightroom and Photoshop CC during the day: how to download, organize, and accomplish basic editing of your images so that they are ready for sharing, printing and framing. You must bring a laptop loaded with Lightroom and Photoshop CC for this additional instruction.
In Lightroom we will look at the following, but not limited to:
- An introduction to Lightroom 6/CC: how to improve your photo management and processing.
- Setting up Lightroom to keep things simple yet effective: files and folders.
- The basic concept of Lightroom. The catalog vs your photo files; important settings in Lightroom.
- The Library module overview.
- The Develop module overview.
- Introduction to Map, Book, Slideshow, Print and Web modules.
- Importing photos and backup strategies.
- Finding and filtering: keywords, text, attributes and metadata.
- The typical workflow for an outdoor photographer: import, render previews, star rating, flagging, and deleting.
- Setting up presets.
- Basic editing in the Develop module.
- Collections: smart collections and hierarchies.
- Exporting photos.
- Extras: virtual copies.
- Editing in Photoshop through Lightroom.
- Renaming multiple photos and creating standard templates for renaming photos.
In Photoshop we will look at the following, but not limited to:
- Important settings in Photoshop
- Selective Sharpening and Noise Reduction
- Multiple methods of Sharpening
- Basic color and lighting adjustments.
- Using the Tool Pallet for editing wildlife photographs.
- Color spaces, and 8-bit vs 16-bit processing.
- Cloning and using Content Aware.
- Image Sizing, DPI and how to use these tools to determine print size and quality of your photos.
- Creating Actions and Batch Processing
- Using Lens Correction
- Photo Merging
- Explaining Layers and how they can be used in Photoshop
Please see our Terms and Conditions for more information.